Saturday, April 26, 2008

Chicago

Personally, I am not a big John King fan. He is a good man and that's all. To me, he usually looks awkward behind the anchor desk. However, he seems to be more and more comfortable and confident in anchoring stories. He shows us a big smile while talking with Erica. She is really good at making people smile beautifully. John King may have always been like this and everybody might have always been finding him totally fine, but I just noticed today. Maybe because of personal preference?


As John King said, CNN did cover Chicago stories several times. Every time I saw a story, I really feel sick in stomach. Adults have created a social environment that is not safe for children. When those young children become adults, they do not know how to fix the society. How can reverse this vicious cycle?


This is a father whose son was killed because of gun fight. It is always the bereaved who remember the pain forever. One of the ways they can get rid of their pain is hoping for a society where no other parents will have to suffer from the same kind of pain any more. Although the goal seems to be hard to achieve, they can keep on as long as they remember their pain.


I was moved by this facial expressions at the end of the interview. He looks sad, melancholic, but looks so determined and furious.

This is what is happening right now in Chicago. But as a city or a country gets more affluent, the poorer hearts of its people become. We might see this happen in other areas. Your problem is also our problem. We should learn from this and should keep our society a good one.



MENTOS and DIET COKE

When Anderson tried this, I was not a regular 360 watcher and didn't see it live. But I have checked out a video somebody posted on YouTube. When I first watched that, I couldn't help trying it out. I pour some Diet Coke into a glass and put a mentos. Nothing happened... Since then, I haven't tried. But this video encouraged me. I might want to try again soon!

****************************************************

In my previous post, I complained a little bit about my boyfriend, but we are like that always. I want to write more about typical Japanese men because people in other countries might be interested.

Japanese people are good at reading other people's mind and we do not always rely on verbal communication. Among boys and girls, we rarely whisper sweet nothing to each other. I sometimes hear a story of a women who are married to Westerner. What they often say is, "My husband says 'I love you' so often and I feel so happy about that." We can never expect a Japanese husband to say that. Also if wives hear their husband say that too often, they tend to find it less significant. "I love you." is only for a special occasion. That way, the word becomes a magic spell to girls. ...Of course, young people are changing and there are many people who say "I love you" too often.

Another tradition you might be surprised is how they walk in public. A man used to walk ahead of his wife and she follows him about one meter behind him. This sounds nothing but gender discrimination. But we have a long history of this old tradition, it is not considered OK to hug or kiss in public. Again, the situation is changing and more and more (but still a few?) young couple do that. However, usually when old people find them, they gripe about them and gaze at them in astonishment.

2 comments:

Peter said...

Mio Bella,
I don't think that the Mentos trick work when you use a glass, you have to use the Coke bottle for it to work. It requires the pressure build up in the bottle's neck for the spurt to happen.

It's nice to read about Japanese couples' traditions, how they are, slowly, changing and how older people frown at the changes. In the West, or at least in the USA, the old people frown mostly if two people of the same sex are expressing their affection in public.

As for the "I love you," you may want to know that it is very, very frequent said among gay people. God knows, Alan & I say "I love you" about 5 times a day: as we get up and when we go back to bed; before a meal; before one or both go out the door; etc. It doesn't loose its meaning, I miss it if for some reason Alan doesn't say it to me, and the same for him. And I know it is true for other gays as well, perhaps not as many as five times a day, but more than once for sure. Many of us, gay people, are starved to hear "I love you." Don't be afraid to say it, you get more and more used to hearing it, so much so that you miss it if it doesn't happen. And if he doesn't tell you some time, remind him; tell him that you'd like to hear "I love you" again. And if he refuses, then I guess it's time to move on until you find a sensitive guy who won't mind saying it.

Saying "I love you" is one of the most important traditions in a relationship.

mio_bella said...

I was a whimp not to try out that experiment using a bottle. I just expect a small explosion. I should be ready to mess up next time!

I'm sorry! I just wrote relationships between "boys and girls." Situation must be the same in your case too. Saying "I love you" at least 5 times a day is impossible for me. Actually, neither of us does not say "I love you" to each other. But we hit it off just fine.