Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Burma? Myanmar?


I noticed this when Anderson first started reporting about this country. He always calls it "Burma" not "Myanmar." I've always thought that he does not want to call the country "Myanmar," which was named by junta.

However, I wondered tonight if it is ok for a individual, a very influential individual, to choose how to call it. Officially, the county's name is "Myanmar" now. And Wikipedia (Japanese) says that it is widely called Myanmar but some publishers who doesn't accept its millitary government still call Burma. However, so far, I have never heard the name Burma since the beginning of the demonstration.


As for the Japanese journalist who was shot at the demonstration, he came back to Japan today. His body is already stiff and his right hand is also stiff with the shape of pressing a shutter.

His boss said that this incident, which Mr. Nagai really wanted to report, would never have been a big issue in Japan if he had not been killed. That's very true. Japanese media do not spare enough time on foreign issue. (That's why I apreciate an access to CNN and why I turn to it!) This time, everybody knows about what's happening in Mayanmar.







I like Anderson's facial expressions before "What were they thinking?" segment. As we can no more see Anderstands, I'll keep posting "kawaii" Anderson pics.









Instead of "Very Short... etc" notices, I prefer Anderson using PC or working on his own.



For weeks, AC360 podcast starts without special greeting for podcast subscribers. Yesterday (I mean the one released on Oct.1 ) , he started saying "Hey, I'm Anderson Cooper." again! And how he says on Oct.2 issue is really wild and I love it!

5 comments:

mio_bella said...

I do have a lot to write about, but I simply do not have enough time now.
I cannot stand this slow speed of my PC any more. Also I'll be pretty busy tomorrow and I really have to go to bed.

I don't know if there are people who are willing to read my boring writing. However Anderson's pictures will satisfy all the visitors to this blog!

copperfish said...

He's the anchor of his show so if he refuses to recognize the official name of the country is his prerogative. If he's making a statement in that aspect, he sure is making one.

What is "kawali"?

Délie said...

@ Copperfish,

KAWAII is a Japanese word. It means "cute", well more than cute actually.. But Mio could explain this better. You could read this post: http://addicted-to-andy.blogspot.com/2007/07/new-words.html

I'm glad AC 360 still covers the Myanmar/Burma story.
The adoption story was heartbreaking.

mio_bella said...

Thanks for attaching the link for me, Delie.

I'll add another thing about the word. Kawaii is a Japanese word, but I heard it is getting popular in France, too. I hope this word will be used in many countries.

Speaking of Japanese word, I didn't know the word "Hancho" has become an English word. Surprisingly, my coworker, who has been in Japan for 7 years, didn't know that's a Japanese word.

Jon said...

when it comes to referring to the nation in English, there's little debate. Myanmar is the name invented 18 years ago by the benighted junta, known as SLORC* back then and the State Peace and Development Council now, when it seized power through force. When Westerners say "Myanmar," they're not being culturally respectful to the people of a beautiful but oppressed nation. (We don't call China Zhongguo or Germany Deutschland just because the locals do.) They're bowing to the whims of the generals who still imprison Aung San Suu Kyi.