Monday, October 09, 2006

The Killing Fields: Africa's Misery, the World's Shame

During AC's devoted report from Africa, I came to appreciate my daily life. Whenever I dress up for work, whenever I buy snacks or sweets, and whenever I eat something even though I am not hungry, I feel deeply sorry for African people who are suffering from predicaments.

What can I do to help them lead better lives?
I came up with two ideas.
  1. By offering my students plenty of information about Africa. In his report, I think I heard that only a few American people are concerned about those countries. In Japan, even fewer people take notice of the plight there. To us, Africa is literally world away. But there are things we can do to help them. I don't think I will be heading for Africa and help them in the near future. However, if some students got really interested in this problem through my lecture, they might devote themselves to giving support to African people.
  2. By saving every little penny before going to bed. Sending a good amount of money at one time is an easy task. However, you may forget about them as time goes by. At the end of my day, I set up a period of time to think about people in Africa putting some coins into the box. I will definately send the money to people in need.

Today's AC 360 will cover the nuclear weapons testing by North Korea. I cannot wait to see the program.

No comments: